Steven Sullivan & Associates, LLC, Logo
(866) 435-6583
(281) 382-8400
PO Box 332
Driftwood, TX 78619
Proudly Serving Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas and Fort Worth

Integrity Safety Consultants Newsletter

Is Your Company Doing Enough?

Are you doing just enough to meet the federal regulations? What I mean is your company going beyond what is required.

Example: Are you checking your driver motor vehicle driving record just one (1) time each year? If yes, are you sure that is adequate. Today drivers can have their driving privileges suspended or revoked for many reasons and you would never know about it until it is too late. If an investigator with the State or FMCSA discover a suspended driver operating your vehicle, it would be no use to show that you checked their driving record 11 months ago, you will have a serious violation noted. Another example are your company policies.

Read More

DATA Q Challenge

While prospective employers aren’t strictly required to use the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Pre-Employment Screening Program to view prospective drivers’ roadside inspection violations and recordable crashes, it’s no secret that plenty of them do in the post-Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) era. Any violation marked on an inspection report will be included there going back three years, and any crash, five years.

Read More

Entry Level Driver Training

Are you reviewing your prospective driver's background and work history thoroughly? If not, you could be in for a rude awakening by the FMCSA. The FMCSA is proposing drastic changes to 49 CFR 380 regarding the training provided to driver's with less than 1 year verifiable commercial driving experience. Contact us for further information at 281-382-8400.

Do I Need a USDOT Number

Companies that operate a commercial motor vehicle transporting passengers or hauling property in interstate or intrastate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and MUST have a USDOT number. You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

Is used in transporting hazardous material or has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight (actual weight) or a gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater.

The rules and regulations for Texas intrastate operations, the vehicle weight shall be 26,001 or more.

If you need your USDOT number, please contact us and we will process your application promptly at 281-382-8400.

Get Authority to Operate (MC Number)

In general, companies that do the following are required to have interstate Operating Authority (MC Number) in ADDITION to a USDOT number:

Operate as a for-hire carrier
Transport passengers in interstate commerce

FMCSA operating authority is often identified as an "MC" or "MX" number depending on the type of authority that is granted. Unlike the USDOT Number application process, a company may need to obtain multiple operating authorities to support its planned business operations. Operating Authority dictates the type of operation a company may run and the cargo it may carry.

Who Does NOT need Authority?

All of this also dictates the level of insurance/financial responsibilities a company must maintain. Carriers not required to have operating authority include:

Private Carriers (transport own product)

If you need further assistance to obtain your Authority (MC Number), please contact at 281-382-8400.